1/28/11

Cats and Dogs

So, in Creative Writing today we were given a prompt to write about the effects of "extreme weather". Fine by me. After cycling through a few ideas that were too depressing for even me to write about I settled on this. I'm not sure how coherent it is, I didn't sleep last night and the cold has made my dexterity a little less than what it could be. Heh.





            It was nearly one month ago, the day of the Cataclysm. The day where it literally rained cats and dogs. All the children were delighted. Well, all the children who weren’t in one of the thousands of fatal car accidents caused by drivers swerving to avoid the falling animals. And the children who didn’t find the many animals that didn’t quite survive impact with the ground. And the ones who didn’t get mauled by the terrified, disoriented animals. And the children who were allergic to pet dander; those poor kids had it rough. On second thought, not many of us were actually delighted at the sight of animals raining down from the sky.
            The dander filled the air; it was somewhat reminiscent of volcano ash. I remember that day well, nobody could really forget something like that. I was at the park with my parents and my younger sister, we were having a picnic. They had lasted about an hour before they started fighting; I can’t remember what it was about. Apparently, only a little grey kitten plummeting into the potato salad is enough to get them to stop bickering. My mother screamed as the thick mush splattered all over us; my father swore. My sister crawled over to the bowl curiously, but my father stopped her.
            They told me to take her off to the jungle gym, and to play there until they sorted it out. I begrudgingly obliged. Dealing with my bratty sister seemed only marginally better than handling the dead kitten. We didn’t make it half way to the jungle gym before we heard a sickening splattering noise somewhere behind us. I covered my sister’s eyes, and against my better judgment took a look. The remains of that poodle had to be the most disgusting thing I had ever seen. I let go of my sister, and lost my lunch all over our shoes. In the distance, the screeching of tires pierced the air. It was swiftly followed by the sound of metal colliding with a tree, or maybe it was a pole. It was difficult to tell over my retching.
            My sister, for whatever reason found the dead things absolutely fascinating. There is something wrong with that girl. The animals were coming down faster. It was chaos; nobody knew what was going on or what to do. My sister, as sick as she may be, had a somewhat brilliant idea. She suggested we run to the car. I didn’t have any better ideas, so we weaved through the animal storm, and somehow managed to make it without being injured too badly. I still felt extremely queasy. And there was that near miss with a German Sheppard. But other than that we were fine. I don’t know where our parents went, we never saw them again.
            I don’t know how, but my sister and I managed to wait out the storm huddled in the backseat of the car. Several animals had crashed into the windshield by the time we had gotten there; consequentially the front seat was full of animal carcasses. It rained on us for what seemed like forever, but was really just fifteen minutes.
            Some of the animals, as I said earlier, did survive. But there was something wrong with them. They’re oddly feral. There aren’t many of us left anymore. We’ve been trapped in this room for almost a week now. We’ve run out of food. Please, if anyone finds this, send help.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting take on raining cats and dogs, a little macabre... Only problem I have is that the tone's a little jarring for an Apocalyptic Log - the end is the first hint you get that the message is really sent as an explanation plus a plea of help. Not enough scared vibes, I suppose.

    ...I kind of want to see a roleplay forum with this idea now. x3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see what you mean. I'll probably go back and edit it later.

    ReplyDelete